SPI’s Zinc Nickel offers exceptional corrosion protection when used with our trivalent chromates which are offered in clear or black. It is built to a nickel content of 12-18%. The primary industries served are the connector, aerospace, automotive, oil and gas along with many commercial manufacturing operations.
SPI ZINC-NICKEL PLATING – min lot $250
Sheffields SPI Zinc Nickel Plating:
What are the benefits of SPI’s Zinc Nickel plating?
- SPI’s Zinc-Nickel is environmentally friendly alternative for Cadmium plating.
- ROHS compliant trivalent passivation (Chrome 6 Free). Clear only.
- High thermal resistance (up to 200˚C) makes it suitable for high temperature uses.
- Provides Superior Corrosion Resistance – protects the base metal.
- Around four times the hardness and therefore wear resistance of standard Zinc plating.
- SPI’s Zinc-Nickel is offered in Clear and Black finishes.
- High ductility.
- Excellent coverage for complicated part geometries.
Zinc Nickel Specifications
- ASTM B841-99
- AMS 2417
- Can Meet Most Internal OEM Specifications
Zinc Nickel Alloy Plater per AMS 2417 Rev J (rev date 9.20.2013)
- Type 1 – as plated without supplementary chromate treatment
- Type 2 – as plated with supplementary chromate treatment
- Type 3 – as plated with supplementary phosphate treatment
- Grade A – Hexavalent chromate used for type 2
- Grade B – Trivalent chromate used for type 2
When type/grade not specified, use Type 2, Grade A
1. Corrosion Resistance
- Type 1 – Parts plated to .0004-.0007” shall show no evidence of red corrosion to base material metal after exposure to 500 hours of salt spray per ASTM B 117 (22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199)
- Type 2 Grade A – Parts plated to .0004 – .0007” shall show no white corrosion after 96 hours and no evidence of red corrosion after 500 hours of salt spray per ASTM B 117 (188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206)
- Type 2 Grade B – Parts plated to .0004-.0007” shall not show evidence of white corrosion after 96 hours and no evidence of red corrosion after 500 hours of salt spray per ASTM B 117 (220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168)
- Type 3 – no salt spray requirement
- 6-20% (SPI Zinc Nickel 12-18%) nickel and the balance of zinc. Composition testing for types 2 and 3 apply prior to application of conversion coating.
3. Hydrogen Embrittlement
- Process after baking shall not cause hydrogen embrittlement in steel parts 36 HRC of higher (3.4.5 and 22.214.171.124).